Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Addicted To Drugs?


Being addicted to drugs is so extremely difficult to deal with. If you feel completely alone, it is even more challenging. There is a lot of dedication, hard work and commitment that is required to even think about beginning treatment.  Having said that, it is also beyond rewarding to experience those hardships and know that you are better than your addiction. When my friends ask me what the most valuable lesson was that I learned through my drug addiction, I always say, becoming educated was the most important thing. Learning how my addiction works and why I had no control over it was a turning point in my recovery. Some might call that the “breakthrough.” 

What was it, exactly, that I learned to make me feel confident in my choice of sobriety? Well, I was addicted to cocaine. When I first went to drug treatment, I felt like it was not really worth anything. I knew what I wanted out of life, and it was to be happy and have fun with my friends. But there was still some part of me that disagreed about how I was doing that. And so, to remedy this internal conflict, I started going to different drug treatment programs to see if anything they talked about resonated with my beliefs about what life is all about. One of the treatment programs had a meeting where they would all share specific stories about what the individuals have done in their past, or what they want to do in their future. One of the meetings started a discussion about how some recent research was opening up the idea that people's brains are actually built in a way that is more receptive to addiction, especially to cocaine addiction. When I heard this, it blew my mind. At these meetings, the participants are encouraged to describe how they are powerless to their addiction. That never really made sense until I discovered that my brain could be finding ways to encourage my cocaine addiction. I really was completely powerless to my addiction. 

Throughout more and more educational therapy and behavioral therapy, I found ways to work around my natural inclination to fill the gap of cocaine cravings. I am able to live a happy life, filled with fun times with my friends, and I don't have to be high on cocaine to enjoy it! It is a wonderful, wonderful thing to know that although you are powerless, you can still prevail beyond addiction. Being addicted to drugs makes it hard to stop, but it is possible with the help of a treatment center. I can attest to that! If you know you are addicted or that you might become addicted if you stay on the track you're on know, do not hesitate to at least get information about drug addiction. Becoming educated is the best thing I ever did for myself, and I want people to know that. Get help today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. For further information please visit our website at www.AmbrosiaTreatmentCenter.com or call us 866-577-6868