Thursday, February 14, 2013

Rehab Center


A lot of things happened to me when I started using drugs. I was what they called a poly-drug user. This meant I used pretty much anything I could get my hands on. But, I had friends with money. I didn't huff Lysol or smoke spice or anything like that, even when I was a kid. I always did the hard stuff. First, it started with heroin in my twenties. I was on and off with that, but I really liked to party. I started to use more amphetamines like cocaine, crack cocaine, meth, and a variety of prescription drugs. Not many people can say they have used heroin and not become severely addicted. For some reason, I can. However, I was extremely addicted to club drugs and the whole party scene. I had little knowledge of the detrimental side of drug use, but I knew that heroin was considered one of the really, really hard drugs. If I wasn't immediately addicted to that, I could withstand anything, right? Wrong. I would use any type of amphetamine given the chance. Adderall, coke, speed – any and all kinds of uppers – you name it, I'd use it. But, meth was by far the most attractive to me.

After a while, my best friend asked if maybe I wanted to get some help for my constant drug use. I had only been using meth for under a month. I was surprised at how easy it was to say that, yes I did. I went to a local non-profit drug addiction rehab center and asked for information about their different drug rehab programs. Upon reading, I found that many rehab centers have drug and alcohol rehab, and some are only an alcohol rehab center. I guess I didn't realize that alcohol was such a problem either. For me, my world revolved around the drugs that got me really high and focused. That's why I liked meth so much – it got me a high like that for the longest time. When I wasn't high, like when I was reading the information about the different types of rehab that the nonprofit drug and alcohol rehab center had to offer, I felt so extremely depressed. I could barely stand it. I didn't really feel crazy or insane or anything, just very, very down. 

When my friend came to me and approached me about my drug problem – my drug addiction – I felt so relieved that someone cared enough about who I was. I felt respected. Instead of joining a full-blown rehab program, I decided it might be best to attend some of the drug rehab meetings, similar to Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), that the drug rehab center had to offer. That way, I could take a look at what I would be getting into. After I started going to those meetings, they became the mood elevator that I really needed. Like alcohol rehab, these meetings that are focused specifically for amphetamine addicts take a look at how to forgive and ask for forgiveness. These meetings have helped me learn and focus on a brighter future.

I know that not everyone is as fortunate as I have been in my drug addiction. The stories that many of my new friends tell at our meetings opens my eyes to a better understanding of what drug addiction is, why people become addicted, and all sorts of different ways on how to handle that addiction. Without drug rehab, those people would not be able to tell me those things. Those things are the words I needed to hear to be able to pull myself out of the drug haze that I was covered in. Not everyone reacts to drugs the same way. If anyone out there finds themselves in a situation of dire need and lack of direction, drug rehab can pull you from the depths of your addiction. Don't hesitate to say, “Yes, I need help.” I didn't, and I couldn't be more grateful for where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. For further information please visit our website at www.AmbrosiaTreatmentCenter.com or call us 866-577-6868